Almost everyone uses it. It’s the easiest way to get information. One can use it to get directions somewhere, play games, research info or even go shopping. It’s the Internet. But how do you know if your addicted to it? Here are some signs of Internet addiction:
- Preoccupation with the Internet
- Use of the Internet in greater amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction
- Feeling restless, moody, depressed or irritable when trying to cut down use of Internet
- One ends up online longer than predicted
- Internet use jeopardizes relationships, jobs, etc
- One lies to family and others to hide their dependency on the Internet
- Uses the Internet to escape problems or to relieve guilt, anxiety, depression
Internet addiction has been described as an impulse control disorder. But with this disorder, there are no drugs involved, and it is quite similar to gambling addiction.
What makes it addictive? Many use the Internet to escape reality. They can be whomever they choose to be online. Those who do so typically suffer from low self esteem and feelings of inadequacy. Disapproval from others is another fear that fuels Internet addicts.